Tax Identity Fraud is Common


All IRS calls and emails are scams to steal your identity!

Help!  Someone already filed a return with my SSN!

If you are using a boxed tax program, and you discover that someone has already filed a return with your SSN, then you are a victim of identity fraud. You need to IMMEDIATELY send Form 14039 to the IRS to let them know, otherwise you will not be able to file your taxes.

When you complete this form, you’ll indicate that someone has stolen your identity and it has affected your tax account since they have filed a return using your identifying information. You’ll also provide information about the tax year affected and the last return you filed prior to the identity theft.

After you complete Form 14039, mail it to the IRS with a copy of your Social Security card and driver’s license. If you don’t have a driver’s license, you can substitute a U.S. Passport, military ID or other government-issued identification card.

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 9039

Andover, MA 01810-0939

I received a Letter 5071C from the IRS.  Is it legit?

If the IRS suspects that you are a victim, they will send you a letter labeled 5071C asking for you to verify your identity.  There are two ways to verify: phone call or website.

We recommend the website, as it is faster.  You will be asked multiple choice questions (think credit bureau) to verify if if you or someone else filed the flagged return.  You will never receive an email or phone call from the IRS requesting identity verification.  NEVER.  Emails and phone calls from the IRS are a SCAM.

When confirming your identity, you will need:

What do I do next?

When someone has enough of your personal information to file a fraudulent tax return, she can use your identity to commit other crimes. In addition to alerting the IRS, you should place a freeze on your credit report file with all three credit bureaus to prevent unauthorized accounts from being opened. The Federal Trade Commission also suggests filing an identity theft report with your local police department, and also with the FTC online.

We also recommend requesting an IRS IP PIN every year in January before you file your tax return.  That way no one else can file using your information.  This PIN changes every year, so request it in January so you have it ready for filing.  

Source: Turbo Tax

More Helpful Links:

IRS Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft

IRS ID Theft Victim Assistance